Friday, December 08, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia (December 7, 2017) – IMG College Licensing, the trademark licensing affiliate of IMG College and the exclusive licensing partner of The Heisman Trophy Trust, is working to rid the marketplace of unlicensed merchandise around the award that annually recognizes the nation’s most outstanding college football player. The Heisman Trophy name and trophy design are registered trademarks and can only be used by officially licensed and approved vendors.
IMG College Licensing also represents the trademark licensing rights of The University of Oklahoma, University of Louisville, and Stanford University, which have players that have been named finalists for the award.
“The Heisman Trophy is an iconic brand that transcends the awards ceremony, which makes it a target for counterfeiters,”said Cory Moss, IMGCL’s Senior Vice President and Managing Director. “Our ultimate goal is to protect the brand and integrity of the Heisman Trophy, as well as the participating institutions and their fans.”
Consumers should be aware of counterfeiters looking to capitalize on the excitement around the award, especially unlicensed merchandise being offered online and via social media.
Consumer tips for purchasing officially licensed Heisman Trophy merchandise include:
· All officially licensed merchandise should display the “Officially Licensed Collegiate Product” hologram somewhere on the product or hangtag.
· The merchandise should depict the Heisman Trophy or university logos and trademarks in a tasteful manner.
· The tag on the garment should be intact. A torn or missing tag is evidence of a garment of inferior quality, one that probably would not meet the stringent quality standards put in place by The Heisman Trophy Trust or participating institutions.
· All merchandise should bear the name of the manufacturer somewhere on the product, either in the form of a hangtag, a neck label, or screen-printed directly on the garment.
· All merchandise should have the appropriate trademark designations (i.e. TM, â) next to a specific name or design.
In addition to the logos and trademarks of the the Heisman Trophy and the participating institutions, fans should also be aware that the use of names and likeness of current student-athletes on merchandise for retail sale is governed by NCAA® by-laws. Officially licensed merchandise will not contain current athletes’ names or likeness.
Royalties generated from the sale of Heisman Trophy merchandise supports the mission and integrity of the award, as well as the charitable endeavors of the Heisman Trophy Trust.
# # #
About The Heisman Trophy Trust
For more information, please contact:
The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work. The Heisman Trophy Trust ensures the continuation and integrity of this award. The Trust, furthermore, has a charitable mission to support amateur athletics and to provide greater opportunities to the youth of our country. Our goal through these charitable endeavors is for the Heisman Trophy to symbolize the fostering of a sense of community responsibility and service to our youth, especially those disadvantaged or with special needs.
IMG is a global leader in sports, fashion, events and media, operating in more than 30 countries. The company manages some of the world’s greatest sports figures and fashion icons; stages hundreds of live events and branded entertainment experiences annually; and is a leading independent producer and distributor of sports and entertainment media. IMG also specializes in sports training and league development, as well as marketing, media and licensing for brands, sports organizations and collegiate institutions. IMG is part of the Endeavor (formerly WME | IMG) network.
(216) 436-3544, firstname.lastname@example.org
IMG College Licensing
(404) 932-3266 or email@example.com